We’re bombarded with a few dozen “breaking news” stories a day. And unless your eyes never leave your Twitter feed, then you probably miss a few. We usually include these as a part of the weekly podcast on the main show but we wanted to give you all a chance to see these new stories and trailers here in one place for your eyes to see. We will continue to post these on a weekly basis so that you’re never out of the loop on what’s going on in Hollywood.
Click below to see this week’s latest news in the film industry.
Special thanks to Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Deadline for the following stories which are all linked to their original source below.
- Michael B. Jordan is reteaming with one of the “Black Panther” writers for a Netflix superhero film entitled “Failsafe.”
- Former Lionsgate exec, Mark Amin is writing/directing “Emperor,” which focuses on Shields Green who, in 1859, escaped from a plantation and made a daring journey north where he met Frederick Douglass and John Brown. With the opportunity to continue to freedom in Canada, Green instead chose to fight to end slavery. The raid at Harpers Ferry is considered one of the sparks that led to the Civil War. Dayo Okeniyi is set to star.
- John Woo is remaking his action classic, “The Killer,” this time tailored to fit Lupita Nyong’o.
- Ron Howard will direct the dystopian sci-fi “The Warehouse” (Which focuses on an evil corporation in a war-torn and weather-beaten world).
- Mel Gibson has slated yet another Okinawa-set WWII film, this one titled “Destroyer.” Rosalind Ross (Matador) wrote the script.
- Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling joins Paul Verhoeven’s ‘lesbian nun drama,’ “The Blessed Virgin.”
- IFC acquires the Sundance film “Catcher Was A Spy.”
- Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Fan Binging, and Lupita Nyong’o lead Simon Kinberg’s spy film “355.” The film (based on an idea by Jessica Chastain) is one of the hottest properties around Cannes and hopes to be the start of a new Bourne-esque franchise for its female cast.
- Helen Mirren and Danny DeVito join Disney’s “The One and Only Ivan.”
- Tim Blake Nelson (“O Brother, Where Art Thou?”), Ben McKenzie (“Gotham”), Matthew Rhys (“The Americans”), Ted Levine (“Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom”) and Michael C. Hall (“Dexter”) join Adam Driver, Anette Bening, and Jon Hamm in Scott Z. Burn’s CIA drama, “The Torture Report.”
- Jake Gyllenhaal is set to play legendary composer Leonard Bernstein in ‘The American” from Cary Fukunaga.
- Australian actors Ben Mendelsohn & Essie Davis (“The Babadook”) star in the Australian dark comedy “Babyteeth.”
- Matthias Schoenaerts, Garrett Hedlund, and Scoot McNairy are set to star in mob drama “The Sound of Philadelphia.”
- Isabela Moner will play Dora in a Live Action “Dora the Explorer.”
- Gabe Sherman (Journalist, and author of the Roger Ailes book – “The Loudest Voices in the Room”) is writing a Trump movie entitled “The Apprentice.”
- Ben Kingsley will play Salvador Dali in a biopic from Mary Harron (“American Psycho”). Lesley Manville and Tim Roth will co-star.
- Roman Polanski and Bill Cosby both get kicked out of the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences
- Benedict Cumberbatch is set to play Cold War spy Greville Wynne (Who was crucial in ending the Cuban missile crisis) in “Ironbark.” Dominic Cooke (“On Chesil Beach”) directs. Tom O’Connor (“The Hitman’s Bodyguard”) is writing the screenplay.
- Guy Ritchie is going back to what made him famous with a gritty crime drama entitled “Toff Guys” involving a Drug Lord who goes up against a wealthy Oklahoma drug lord.
- J.J. Abrams is reteaming with Julius Avery, director of the upcoming Paramount/Bad Robot World War II zombie film “Overlord,” for “The Heavy.” The film is being kept largely secret, but we do know it is a “subversive superhero film.”
- Pitbull is following in the steps of Jonny Greenwood and Trent Reznor and making his composing debut with John Travolta’s “Gotti.”
- Celine Dion has an original song for “Deadpool2 .” Let the Oscar campaign begin!!
- We are getting a feature film version of one of the most delightful Broadway musicals of all time – “Monty Python’s Spamalot.”
- The team from “Crazy Rich Asians” are wasting no time in trying to get their next project off the ground. The pitch? An adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “In The Heights.”
- Many feel “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is going to crash and burn with critics and at the box office. However, it is currently the number 2 pre-seller of the year in advanced tickets sales.
- Martin Freeman will be working with Diane Kruger in the spy thriller “The Operative.”